- May 6, 2018
- 1:30 pm
Spring is here so it’s time to put on your sneakers and help combat hunger! The CROP Walk is a world-wide fund-raiser of Church World Services that is sponsored locally by the Capital Area Council of Churches. The letters C-R-O-P stand for Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty. Last year about 350 walkers in Albany raised $95,660 in donations, and 25% of that money went to 26 food pantries and soup kitchens in the Capital District to help meet the nutritional needs of nearly 200,000 of our neighbors and their children. The other 75% was used for critical hunger and disaster relief in 80 countries around the world.
The CROP Walk event is on Sunday, May 6. Walkers will enjoy a light lunch together after the 10:45 service, then meet at the First Lutheran Church on Western Ave for music and inspiration. The walk itself is a pleasant 3 mile loop with rest stops along a well-marked route through Albany’s neighborhoods (or a “Golden Mile” around the block).
To participate, sign-up to walk or make a donation in the Assembly Hall on Sunday mornings at church in April. To donate to our team online, go to https://www.crophungerwalk.org/albanyny/FirstPresChurchAlbany
There are prizes and awards for individuals and groups who raise the most money or recruit the most walkers. Let’s help First Pres walk for a better world and win the “Golden Sneaker Award” for raising the most donations! For more information, contact our recruiters, Tara Lindsley or Debbie Shoup.